Tuesday, 31 January 2012

A rant for the chics who don't workout


Let me get one thing straight, I am not a muscle junkie.  I am not obsessed, I am determined.

This may confuse people, in fact I know it confuses people.  I was recently accused of being self-obsessed with my physique.  Yes, I am concerned about my figure.  If you meet a women who tells you otherwise, shes lying. Simple.

I spend a good portion of my day in the gym.  I train hard, I eat clean.

I do not spend my weekend smashing bottles of wine, and sitting around fires feeding off fatty pieces of meat.  I choose to be fit, I choose to be healthy and I choose to be strong.  I don't go out of my way to tell people I follow a strict routine, I do not bop my head to "Girl look at that body, I work out"... one look at my body and you'll know that I don't sit on my ass, eating donuts and moaning about where I could be physically.

In no way am I saying that I have reached the pinnacles of physical perfection, but I am saying that I work my ass off to get where I'm going.  Nobody cares about where you want to be, if you not willing to commit to getting there.

I hate to disappoint but the concern surrounding my will to work hard on my body, is not for narcissism, arrogance, pretension or self-worship.  Its for longevity, its for the ability to combat sickness, to recover quicker, to self protect, for efficiency and most importantly,  as a women, a sister and a daughter it is for when my children come, to be strong and able to run with them, climb with them and simply be with them for a very long time to come.

I am not here to make you feel bad, or lecture you about your unhealthy diet or current levels of fitness.  I am here to stand up for what I do,  for what we fitness 'chics' do. I don't do it for the vanity, I do it because its the one thing I have control over.  Its the one thing that I own.

You can take away everything, my property, my cars, my investments and my finance but I'll always have my body.

My body is a vehicle to transport my brain and my brain deserves a ride that offers extraordinary performance.

3 comments:

  1. Wow - well said! Totally agree. You're thinking ahead and will reap the benefits of this attitude and at the same time giving yourself the best shot of staying healthy and happy. Keep at it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Belinda, its a tough road to follow but an extremely satisfying one, in all senses!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well said Lauren. I often too get accused of being rather obsessive, and i couldnt have explained myself better to others as you have here!! I work a full time job, participate in various hobbies in the evenings (extra courses, band etc).. BUT I have never had an excuse such as 'dont have time or too busy' to look after myself, my health, my body! I wake up at 5am most mornings to make time to get fit and healhty and it is my first priority as i know that if i am not healthy and performing at my peak, all other areas in my life dont perform as best as it could. What an inspiration to read this, many thanks
    Laura

    ReplyDelete