Tuesday, 07 February 2012
20 random things I learnt in 2011
1. Strength is a skill that must be practiced, it is not defined by the size of your biceps, or how 'toit' you look in a gym vest. Strength is defined by technique and your ability to generate a force under any given condition.
2. You're the average of 5 people that you spend the most time with. Its cheesy but its fact. So surround yourself with enlightening people.
3. Pick up heavy shit and move it around, its incredible what this will do for your body.
4. Not everyone is going to like what you have to say, every time, all the time. Remind them that we do not live in a communist country and you will continue to say it how it is, whether they like it or not.
5. Education is free this century. Read books, google, research, ask questions, and don't be afraid to look stupid. Don't be shy, and get out of your comfort zone, you may just learn something.
6. Pull ups will change your body for life, this simple exercise will improve your lifting, your pressing, your pushing and your pulling abilities. Plus, they look a whole lot more hardcore than how you look doing bicep curls in the mirror with your hat backwards.
7. Hip Hop really does bring out the bad ass in you
8. Push ups are hundreds of years old, they are effective, they work, they build machines - don't screw them up by removing essential elements. Do them how they were done 100 years ago.
9. Carbohydrates are your friend. Who ever believes otherwise also believes in unicorns.
10. No matter how hardcore you think you are, or how hard you klap the gym, do yoga, the benefits of concentrating on your breathing, your mobility and your flexibility will improve your lifting potential and in turn improve your strength abilities ten fold.
11. Deadlifts, pull ups, squats, kettlebell work and prowlers make beautiful bodies, not ellipticals and pec-decs.
12. Telling the truth does not give you a hall pass to being a bitch, you can still be honest and kind at the same time
14. As South Africans we really need to take charge, we need to stop talking and start acting against rhino poaching. Deeds not words (more on this shortly)
15. Eat local, drink local and shop local
16. There is no exercise as invaluable as the squat. In its pure simplicity the squat wins hands down everytime.
17. If you know what's good for you, you really shouldn't use gloves while lifting kettlebells.
18. If you are passionate about something, go back to school and get qualified, you are never to old to be legitimate. Also, it helps avoid getting sued.
19. Never claim to know everything, never be afraid to admit you don't know something, and never fall for anything because you will stand for nothing.
20. Anabolic steroids, growth hormones, testosterone variants and others were developed for weak minded people who cannot adjust to the heat of the game